Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Tops: Music Videos - "Once in a Lifetime"

Let's invent a new segment here just to confuse everyone!  This is something I recently thought about, and I thought this might be a fun little exercise.  I was recently trying to decide my 5 favorite music video's.  I haven't thought of all of them yet.  I'll do one every Thursday for the next 5 weeks until I have my full list.  Maybe I'll write about them clumsily.  Maybe not.

First things first though.  Let's lay one on you.  I came up with the idea to make this list while watching the music video for "Once in a Lifetime" by the Talking Heads.  "Once in a Lifetime" is one of their best known songs, and was the big hit from their 1980 album "Remain in Light," which is one of my all time favorite albums.
This music video is just so delightfully kooky.  Only David Byrne could do this.  It's so weird and fun.  I can't imagine what it would have been like to watch this video back in 1980.  It has some interesting visual effects, that probably would have been pretty crazy at the time.  A lot of the time the music video can change your view of a song, or can distract you from the song (like the music video for "Blonde Fire," an awesome video for a mediocre song).  However this music video just feels like a perfect extension of the song itself.

If you haven't seen this music video, feel free to take the time to do so now.

No comments:

Post a Comment