Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Tops: Music Videos - "Can't keep Johnny Down"

I've been pretty busy with the semester ending and all, so I haven't had time for movies, but I assume soon we will get a pretty steady stream of Heads Up's.  Till then, we have our weekly list of my favorite music videos to keep us going.

They Might Be Giants is a band I grew up with as my brother had their cassette.  "Triangle Man" and "Birdhouse in your Soul" have been a part of my life almost as long as I can remember, and the album "Flood" remains one of my very favorite albums ever, and not just because of nostalgia, but because it is a great album.  Now, They Might Be Giants have had a few weak albums here and there, but they have been one of the most consistently interesting and consistently fun bands since they have been around.  There is really no one else doing what they are doing.  Always evolving, and still always being distinctly them.  Last year they released the album "Join Us" which is a super solid album, and plays almost like a best of; showcasing a variety of styles they have explored throughout there 20-some-odd year career.
The lead of track from this album is the catchiest and most memorable, and quickly has become one of my favorite They Might Be Giants songs.  They made their own video for it, but I haven't even seen it yet.  They had a contest for users to submit their own videos for the song, and this video was the winner of the contest.  It is one of the best realized music videos I have ever seen.  Conceptually, it's not really doing anything all that new, but it just does it better than any video I have seen before.  It captures the tone and feeling of the song, and the band in general, perfectly.  As a warning, the video does feature a hairy topless man running.  Without further ado, please enjoy the winning video for "Can't Keep Johnny Down."





All of the dicks in this big town can't keep Johnny down. And may it be the same for you today, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment