Wednesday, September 5, 2012

News: Rumblings about PTA's next

I had heard whispers about Paul Thomas Anderson's next piece a few months back, and it seems the idea persists.  Rumor has it that the follow up to "The Master" will be an adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's "Inherent Vice," a west coast noir story as only Pynchon can deliver.  Robert Downey Jr.'s name is attached to the role of the main character supposedly.

Asked “what’s next?” by Screen Daily, Anderson responded,
I’m hoping we can get Inherent Vice going soon. That’s what I’m writing now. It’s taking my mind of this, actually. It’s a lot of fun. It’s such a different piece, though. It’s nice to have a collaborator, as it were, through working on the book.


PTA's films have traditionally had an affinity for the west, especially Californian settings, so in a way it would be old turf for him.  However it would be in a lot of ways a very different endeavor for him, which I think would be great to see.  His repertoire is already notably diverse.

It will probably be a while until this is really something worth keeping an eye on, but I guess keep instead an ear to the ground.

It will be a sad time when there is less PTA related news for me to talk about.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your blog, you write really well.
    I don't know if you remember me, I was one of the photographers at your brother's wedding :)

    ReplyDelete