Saturday, September 1, 2012

Heads Up: Killer Joe (2011)

Usually when I write about something this current I write a review, as opposed to heads up, but for some reason with this film it doesn't seem appropriate to write a review.  For whatever reason I think knowing as little about the narrative and style of this film as possible going into it makes for an optimal viewing experience.  I watched the trailer only after having seen the movie, and I think having seen the trailer beforehand would have really lessened the impact of the film.

Here is what I will say though: whatever you think now, "Killer Joe" is a must see film for anybody with the stomach for it, who considers themselves a so-called "film person."  The film stars Matthew McConaughey at his charming and terrifying best, and is directed by William Friedkin, who I'm now learning directed tons of really well known movies, but I've somehow never really retained his name.  He is probably most well known for "The French Connection" but also did "The Exorcist," among others.
Anyway, the film is NC-17.  It blends a lot of styles very interestingly, and is in general well crafted, and very well acted.  Every character turns in a great performance.  I don't think there is really a weak moment of acting in the whole deal.  I don't really want to say anything else, because I think the film more than speaks for itself, and it should just be watched and mulled over.  The emotional marathon of a concluding scene will likely go down as an iconic moment in cinema of this era.  Know that I had pretty low expectations for the film going in, and was really shocked and impacted.  Also know that the poster featuring a blood splattered chicken nugget shaped like Texas is shitty, and the movie shouldn't be discounted just because it has a super shitty poster with some dumb tag line on it.
This film impacted me heavily, and I'm still thinking about it.  If you can handle films that leave you feeling a bit sick inside, and especially if you like or at least appreciate such films, "Killer Joe" should be at the top of your must-see list.  I urge you.

No comments:

Post a Comment