Friday, November 9, 2012

World War Z trailer released

I don't really want to advertise this as much as spend some time criticizing it. I have two main criticisms.

criticism the first: when did trailers become mini-versions of the film, rather than an advertisement aimed at making me want to watch the movie? It's a compelling trailer, but doesn't convince me the movie will be compelling. The trailer itself has a narrative arc, and it shouldn't (in my opinion, feel free to argue). After watching the trailer I don't think there will be a whole lot else in the movie interesting enough to make me feel like I need to see it.

criticism the second: who cares anymore? Aren't we bored of zombies yet? When the book was written there wasn't much in the terms of zombie fiction (not to mention it uses an interesting format that doesn't translate to film). Even when the movie was first announced, six years ago or so, it would have been an interesting thing. I feel like the market is flooded with exhaustingly unoriginal zombie stuff right now. That hurts me to say because I love zombie stuff, and have my whole life. Honestly though the last thing I care about right now is some new zombie thing.

Thoughts on that? Am I the only one who thinks that?   If you haven't seen it, here is /film's coverage.

2 comments:

  1. Trailers almost always give away too much; there's never any surprises. That's why I purposely went into TDKR without having watched a trailer. But they did a good job on the Looper trailer: it showed enough to get interest but without revealing too much of the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree with you on this one. I love Zombie related things like The Walking Dead and Zombies ate my Neighbors. I even read this book because it sounded interesting (Its not) and thought that this would be a cool movie. After reading the book and seeing the trailer I can tell you there is nothing related minus a title. I also put the trailer on The Daily Pencil if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete