Sunday, February 19, 2012

Heads Up: Attack the Block

I first heard about this movie when a buddy of mine showed me the first trailer for it.  He was excited for it because, as he told me, it was by the people who had made "Hot Fuzz."  Of course after brief investigation I learned that there was actual very little involvement with anyone who had been behind "Hot Fuzz," other than the small roll that Nick Frost plays (and  few other connections).
I really was not expecting much from this movie.  The trailer didn't make it look that interesting to me.  I liked the idea of London youth in the ghetto fighting aliens, but there was nothing particularly intriguing to me about anything else.  Well, I just watched it last night, and, boy, was I surprised.  There are a lot of things going on in this movie, and it does a lot of things very right.
What first struck me was the very classic nature of the films structure.  It is very informed of classic sci-fi (even the title card).  That being said, it brings totally new ideas and settings to the table that I have never been used in science fiction.  Carrying the tagline "Inner city vs outer space," everything is set in a seedy London neighborhood, and revolves around the hoodlums that society has abandoned.  Their apartment house is filmed in a way that makes it look like an alien environment at times with some interesting camera moves.
Thematically, "Attack the Block" covers a lot of ground.  Most up front it explores the theme of class differences, and aspects of London youth culture etc.  It is very interestingly presented, and at times pretty profound.  It's a concept that ran the risk of being heavy handed or didactic, but I didn't feel it ever was.
The aliens themselves are super cool.  They made extensive use of very cool practical effects and costume work.  Computer graphics are used with subtlety and are very effective.  The aliens are original, look great and are utterly terrifying.  The movie is full of well executed scares and moments that make you jump.  There is some graphic moments that give the whole film a very appropriate gritty feel.
All in all I feel like this was a very good science fiction film, and a movie that is definitely worth your time.  It tackles a lot of things, and nails them on the head.  It is a great science fiction, set in an original setting, and tackles some serious societal issues in ways sci-fi usually does not do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment