Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Album of the Month: Cartography (2008)

I decided I wasn't probably going to get in more than one film related post a week, and because I want to focus more on film than music, I loosened up the music posts to be Albums of the Month as opposed to weekly.  All in favor?  Good.

So this month I'll talk about Arve Henriksen.  He is a classically trained Norwegian trumpet player who, highly influenced by the Japanese shakuhachi flute (i have to look up the name ever time, I promise I'm not making it up), has an incredibly unique tone quality.  His trumpet is ethereal, and he often uses the instruments sounds, such as breathing and valve sounds, for a sound completely unique to him.
The album I specifically want to talk about is 2008's "Cartography," which is, as far as I am aware, his most current album of four (all of which I enjoyed).  "Cartography" is simply one of the most beautifully constructed albums I have ever listened to.  It is tends to be mellow, drawing on ideas of ambient music, so it's good for reading or homework.  When I first listened to it, though, I would often have to pause to marvel at the shear beauty of the sound, and I'm not exaggerating for melodramatic effect.
On display here is a blend of Henriksen's complete arsenal.  Obviously his mastery of the trumpet takes center stage, but his angelic falsetto comes through at times, while smart electronic manipulations subtly give the musical landscape borders so immense they feel like they never end.  The Album itself is constructed like a novel, or like Jewish scripture, and features a sort of chiasmus that helps each song flow naturally, like a receding wave or a naturally orbiting moon.
The second and the penultimate track contain spoken word pieces by David Sylvian, of Japan, and are fascinating even in their seemlessly doubled presentation (I can't explain it, just listen).  My favorite track is probably halfway point "Recording Angel" but every track can be a highlight.
This album is simply gorgeous.  It's a beautiful piece of truth through music.  It's bold and unique, but still enjoyable and accessible.  It has been said about Brian Eno's ambient work that it is like an exquisite painting, in that in enhances the beauty of a room whether or not you pay attention to it, but when you carefully study it more depth and craft becomes aware.  So it is with this album.
Again I would recommend all of Arve Henriksen's albums, I find him fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment